Toasted Red Pepper Devilish Eggs
Serve these devilishly tasty treats as part of a Halloween feast. Roasted red peppers and paprika give the filling an orange hue reminiscent of jack-o-lanterns, while snipped chives resemble their stems. Serves: 8
Recipe type: Hors d'Ouevres
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup drained and chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- Salt and pepper
- 3 chives, cut into 16½-inch pieces
- Over high heat, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently lower eggs into water. once water returns to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook eggs 11 minutes, drain and place in a large bowl of ice water. Cool completely, for at least 10 minutes.
- Crack eggs and carefully peel under cool running water. Slice eggs in half lengthwise, scoop out yolks and place yolks in a food processor with peppers, mayonnaise, mustard and paprika. Cover and refrigerate whites. Process yolk mixture until smooth; taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer yolk mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip or a large ziplock bag. If using a bag, squeeze out air, seal and snip off a corner. Pipe about 1 Tbsp. filling into center of each egg white, to resemble a pumpkin. Set a piece of chive diagonally into filling to resemble a stem. Sprinkle yolks with paprika. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to a day.